Saturday, August 27, 2011

Prepping for Irene

The rain just started a few minutes ago, but already it's a downpour. The thunder had been rumbling around for a half hour or so, so I knew the window for storm prep was coming to an end.  The heart of the storm isn't supposed to get here for another 24 hours or so, but this is one wide-ranging weather system.  The good news is that we're well inland (about 30 miles west of Boston) so there's no storm surge issue, and we're at the top of a very long hill, so flooding really isn't a problem (we do get puddles in the garage, which is built into the slightly uphill side).

I got up early this morning with the intention of giving the lawn a last minute mow, but we'd had some showers overnight so it was just too wet.  Instead I weeded the gardens, and broke out the weed whacker to clear out the edges of the gardens and around the shrubs.  My hope was that the debris would get blown away by the storm winds, but I think this rain is just going to pound them solidly to the ground.  I also tackled the volunteer forest that had emerged at the edge of the mint garden after the initial foray with the string trimmer.  I don't know what these things were, but they were about three feet tall and appeared to be readying some prodigious seed heads.  The downside of the hilltop is the wind factor, so I took the preemptive measure of controlled-downing a dead birch tree that was threatening the yard.

The deck finally got the attention it deserved, and it is now clear of the assorted flower pots and trays that had been attracting all the dead leaves from autumns past.  The cute metal ladybug wind chimes usually guarding the raspberries have been garaged. I folded down the backs of the heavy adjustable adirondack chairs, and then decided to relocate them to the newly cleared deck.  The grill is securely covered and in a sheltered corner, along with the additional propane tanks.  I flipped the smallish round wooden  table over, reducing its profile and blow-away likelihood.  After I had gone back in, showered and changed out of my thoroughly dirt-covered gardening togs, I received an email newsletter from the local bird store.  I had earlier decided to leave the (empty) bird feeders on their hangers, since they would need to flip almost upside down in order to blow away, but the bird store ladies strongly advised bringing in all feeders. I tucked my feet into my Merrell's (the sneakers are soaked from the earlier tromping through the wet grass) and collected all four feeders, which are now keeping the metal ladybugs company in the garage.

So here I sit, watching the pouring rain and listening to the thunder. Jules had an optimistic 11:30 tee time at a course not too far from here, so I'm thinking she at least got in 9 holes before being called in.  We'll soon see.  I should have picked up some Duraflames for the fireplace.  Oh well, candles will have to do, because I'm in for the duration now.

1 comment:

  1. I got all 18 rained on the last 3 holes.....I know you would wanna know